Tonight was date night. It's been a LONG time since we've been able to get a few moments to ourselves. We left the kids with STRICT instructions. #1 Don't answer the phone (unless it's us or Grandma). #2 Don't answer the door. (We left them at the table with Pizza and Movies to entertain them while we were gone. )The last thing we told them was #3 DO NOT GO OUTSIDE. A's cute little friend from across the street was over to help out with the boys. Last time she "helped" it didn't go so well. So we said as long as everyone follows the rules she can stay...she can even sleep over tonight too. They all agreed and off we went.
40 minutes later we are eating at the restaurant and we get a phone call. It's A, bawling. They were locked out of the house....all 5 of them. So each and everyone of them disobeyed. Even if ONE of them would have obeyed they wouldn't have had to call us and we wouldn't have "caught" them. Stinkers! Ricardo told A where the key was hidden and also told A to send home the cute little neighbor girl.
I wonder how many other rules they disregard when we leave them for an hour or two? They were sure repentant when we got home. What a wonderful teaching opportunity! Now they know what can happen when they don't listen to us. If only every lesson learned came at such a small price. I wonder how long they waited to call us after they realized they were locked out? No one will fess up to that.
Friday, September 05, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
That's a good one. I love those lessons that have instant consequences. They are the best ones that the kids seem to learn the most from. It must be because it's a natural consequence. Not one mom or dad had to come up with.
What a great story! I am going to be sure my kiddo's hear this one, and soon! I couldn't help but laugh picturing all your kids locked outside trying to figure out how to get outta that one. Cute lil stinkers! Give um all hugs for me!
Hmmm... I know that cute little friend... That story totally MADE MY DAY! At least they did call instead of try something really lame that resulted in a broken screen or something... In case you were wondering, I've had experience with this type of "disobeying" from my younger years :)
BC
I LOVE it when that happens, like you said, with an easy price to pay.
You could always try the video camera option next time you are gone!!
Post a Comment