
Growing up Vicks was used quite frequently at our house. I can't count how many nights Dad would slather Vicks on my neck, wrap a clean sock LOOSELY around it and attach it with a safety pin. Relief. I could breathe again. But by morning it was everywhere...clothing...bedding and my entire body. I hated it. We'd try not to cough at night so Dad wouldn't get out the Vicks. Oh, Dad also used iodine on every wound we had. He'd get out his medics kit and we'd run the other way. So now I have a tried and tested a cleaner use for our good friend Vick.
I received an email several weeks ago that said a woman had used Vicks successfully to stop a cough...without the mess. But here's what she did. She applied a thin layer to the bottoms of her FEET. Then socks. Then NO COUGH. She said that she didn't cough at all during the night. Yeah right I thought. So I waited patiently as I know when the weather changes we are in for nights and nights of coughing children. Cough syrup doesn't cut it when it comes to coughs in our family. And it never fails that when we travel and stay in a hotel our children cough all night and we can't sleep. Neither can anyone else in the hotel.
Needless to say I didn't have to wait long to try this out. A few nights ago Potato started coughing at 1 am. He wouldn't/couldn't stop. So I pulled out the Vicks, and the socks and tried out my new trick. Sure enough, as soon as I placed the blankets back over him the coughing had stopped. Just a conincidence I thought...at first. Then the entire night passed with absolutely no coughing. Mind you I didn't slather on the Vicks, because it is medicated. But I did apply a thin layer. I couldn't believe it. I thought for sure it was a fluke. I mean we didn't give him any medication...except the Vicks and socks. Piece of cake. We tried it again the next night. Same thing. He did cough a few times at first until it really started working. But nothing again the rest of the night. I love this stuff.
Last night was another test...as I was still on the fence. Ask and ye shall receive I always say. The youngest started coughing last night. I thought...this shall be the true test. So I applied it to his feet, then put on socks. He coughed at first. Probably for about the first 5 minutes. Then Nothing. So I can blog about this and spread the word. It works. It'll make a believer out of you too.
I received an email several weeks ago that said a woman had used Vicks successfully to stop a cough...without the mess. But here's what she did. She applied a thin layer to the bottoms of her FEET. Then socks. Then NO COUGH. She said that she didn't cough at all during the night. Yeah right I thought. So I waited patiently as I know when the weather changes we are in for nights and nights of coughing children. Cough syrup doesn't cut it when it comes to coughs in our family. And it never fails that when we travel and stay in a hotel our children cough all night and we can't sleep. Neither can anyone else in the hotel.
Needless to say I didn't have to wait long to try this out. A few nights ago Potato started coughing at 1 am. He wouldn't/couldn't stop. So I pulled out the Vicks, and the socks and tried out my new trick. Sure enough, as soon as I placed the blankets back over him the coughing had stopped. Just a conincidence I thought...at first. Then the entire night passed with absolutely no coughing. Mind you I didn't slather on the Vicks, because it is medicated. But I did apply a thin layer. I couldn't believe it. I thought for sure it was a fluke. I mean we didn't give him any medication...except the Vicks and socks. Piece of cake. We tried it again the next night. Same thing. He did cough a few times at first until it really started working. But nothing again the rest of the night. I love this stuff.
Last night was another test...as I was still on the fence. Ask and ye shall receive I always say. The youngest started coughing last night. I thought...this shall be the true test. So I applied it to his feet, then put on socks. He coughed at first. Probably for about the first 5 minutes. Then Nothing. So I can blog about this and spread the word. It works. It'll make a believer out of you too.
3 comments:
Ours was Mentholatum. Same scenario but Dad didn't tie socks around our necks!!
I will try your experiment tonight since I have a cougher and he refuses the goo on his chest.
I'll put that in my memory bank for use on the next cough. The only thing I think that is worse than a coughing kid all night is a throwing up kid all night. I'd love there to be a quick fix for that one.
Thanks for stopping by my blog! You are the second person who mentioned the Vicks remedy, so now I am definitely going to try it.
Post a Comment