Saturday, March 15, 2008

Pink Flamigos In The Front Yard...


Remember that song?
Today A and I went to a Mother/Daughter Activity at the Stake Center. It was a really cute theme. Everything PINK. We were supposed to wear pink, we ate pink stuff, made a pink craft and sat at tables decorated entirely in PINK. There were six different mini classes to go to. The idea behind the pink flamigos was that we/they are not all alike. Depending on what we/they eat/brine shrimp/determines whether we/they are really pink/healthy or not pink/not healthy at all. They tied it in to what we put in our bodies and what we do to our bodies healthy or not. They did a good job. I just never thought I'd learn two line dances at a Primary activity. Hilarious. There were a bunch of fun Mom's in our group and we had a blast. The girls thought we were weird. But they ARE getting to the age where no matter what we do we are weird. Hey, I'm cool...aren't I? At least I used to be back in the day.
Speaking of pink flamingos...Ricardo's work is going through some major construction right now. They are adding an entire wing on and there is always something exciting going on. Cranes, bulldozers, jackhammers. You name it. The boys love going up there to see what is happening. The construction company has set up a trailer in the parking lot...let's call it a modular home...as their base of operations. The guys that Ricardo works with thought it would be really funny to play hillbilly music out into the parking lot where their deluxe accommodations are. They set up pink flamingos, a toilet with a plant planted in it and a sign saying...Y'all Come Back Now Ya Hear? The higher ups got upset that the music was being played so loudly so they had to stop that, but they've kept the rest of the stuff out for everyone's enjoyment. Pretty dang hilarious.
Here are the lyrics to that song...
I was a rebel in my younger years
I'd...drink with the devil if he bought me a beer
Wore out two pickups just running around
Mama thought I never would settle down
That was before I met sweet Irma Jean
She made a new man outta me
We got pink flamingos in the front yard
Picture window with a view of Wal-Mart
Blue collar heaven domestic bliss
It just doesn't get any better than this
We got pink flamingos, pink flamingos, pink flamingos
Sweet Irma Jean is a den mother now
With a station wagon and a charge account
Bubba Junior pitches for his baseball team
Little sister's running for Rose Bud Queen
And me I'm doing good at the used car lot
Is this a great country or what
We got pink flamingos in the front yard
Picture window with a view of Wal-Mart
Blue collar heaven domestic bliss
It just doesn't get any better than this
We got pink flamingos, pink flamingos, pink flamingos
People slow down when they drive by
They wave and smile but there's envy in their eyes
We ain't rich and won't be for a while
But no doubt about it baby we got style
With got pink flamingos in the front yard
Picture window with a view of Wal-Mart
Blue collar heaven domestic bliss
It just doesn't get any better than this
With got pink flamingos in the front yard
Picture window with a view of Wal-Mart
Blue collar heaven domestic bliss
It just doesn't get any better than this
We got pink flamingos
Picture windows
Pink flamingos
By Tracy Byrd

3 comments:

juli said...

It's a funny joke to you guys but real living in some parts! It's not very politically correct either. Maybe those flamingos don't like being stereotyped or racially profiled.
I think it's great they are allowed to have some humor at work!

Carly said...

Wendy, it's Carly at Chuckles and Grins. Just wondered if you have received my email or Etsy convo? I need your approval on something. Thanks!

Jill Branch said...

That sounds like a great time at the Primary acitvity day. I'll have to put that idea away in case I need it some day.