Tuesday, July 29, 2008

He Who Finishes First Finishes Last?

My sweet roommate from my single days has offered up a challenge. Or did I suggest it? Anyways.... After 12 years of being an animal free household she broke down and brought home three fish with accessories to her loving children.

We have never denied our children anything mind you....OK...yes we have....daily...We have had dogs, (not inside dogs) and a frog. Then on Thursday our family increased by three. Three fish that is. Free from a city carnival for Pioneer Day. (Yeah, whose dumb idea was that?) The kids were so excited to come home with their winnings. We couldn't find a fish bowl fast enough for them. In fact, before we could properly enter them into their new surroundings the kids had dumped them in...to cold water from the tap. No tempering our poor fishies in this family. Needless to say, I didn't think they'd last the day. The kids constantly touch them and then on Sunday they changed the water all by themselves. Neither Ricardo or I witnessed this and no one can explain exactly how they did it, but the water was clean and all three fish were swimming happily.

So my sweet OLD roommate and I have entered into a friendly competition. Or rather a Science experiment. Will free fish live longer than store bought fish? If I win she will send our family of six to Disneyland. If she wins I'll send her a gift certificate to the Dollar Store. I feel that is more than fair.
As of this post the score is 3 to 2. We lost one orange fish yesterday right after I left a comment on her blog that all three of ours were still alive after four days. We are already down by one. So stay tuned to see who wins. The race is on!
Jill's reply: Oh.....you're funny. Just post some pictures and we'll see who has the last fish swimming. This should be good. I know I'm going to be crying the goldfish blues eventually. I just dread the day the first one floats to the surface. My guess.....it will be N's. For some reason he has the sweetest, most tender heart and his stuff or things always die first. It really isn't fair to him. I hope his is at least the last or second to last, just not the first. Does this sound like a pesimistic reply or what? I'm just waiting for their individual deaths rather than looking forward to their long, long lives.

1 comment:

Jill Branch said...

I'm laughing so hard I have tears running down my face and K wants to know what's so funny. I don't think she'll get it.